Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 19, Feb. 8, Hobe Sound Nature Center


I spent the morning working; never did get to the laundry. By 11 a.m., I felt I had to get out. The skies had cleared and it looked like a beautiful day. I was at Gail’s by noon. We discussed possible bird sanctuaries and wildlife preserves checking possible places on the internet.

She offered to do the driving and we took her father’s van. I wasn’t sure my body and legs would squeeze down into her PT Cruiser. It was great having someone else drive. I got to look around and see some sights. We stopped at the Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge. After looking at the reptiles in cages, we headed out on a trail. To my chagrin, it was all soft sand and narrow paths. Prickly bushes and vines made the path smaller in places. Gail scratched her leg on something with long thorns and my walking stick kept getting hung up in the vines.

The temperatures were in the 80s and the sun beat down. Walking was difficult in the soft sand and the first part of the trail went uphill. If my walking stick didn’t catch in the vines, it sunk in the sand. My feet and knees hurt. I struggled. The landscape was scrub habitat and in this area, these places date back tens of thousands of years. This was part of an ancient high Atlantic Coastal Ridge formed during the ice age. Much of the sand here had actually washed down from the Piedmont of the Carolinas and Georgia to the ocean where the currents carried it to Florida. There are many plants and animals here not found anywhere else.

One part of the trail was the highest point for miles around. Every once in a while we got a glimpse of   the river. Lightning strikes cause fires and recent hurricanes have killed many sand pine trees; the snags of which provide perching and nesting places for birds. In the distance, Gail pointed out a nest saying she thought there was a bird in it. I snapped some photos, but until I edit them, I could not tell.

The only creatures we say, though was a gopher turtle, a bunch of little lizards, and a couple of high flying birds in the distance.  

We reached a part in the trail were one way went towards the river and the other back to the nature center. If we had taken that trail to the river to begin with, it might have been easier for me. It wasn’t marked at the trail’s beginning. Gail had had wondered when we started out if that was a short cut, but I elected to follow the trail signs. By the time we did the one trail and reached the intersection, I was too tired and hot to follow the other trail.

We headed into Jensen Beach to have dinner at the Olive Garden. It was soooo good!

We went to my hotel, changed into swimsuits, and headed for the pool. On the Pool Rules sign, we had a laugh. At other pools, besides some of the normal safety regulations, there were “No spitting in pool” and “No blowing your nose in the pool.” This pool sign had another, “No one with diarrhea should use the pool.” Oh, what pictures that conjures up in the mind, ha ha! I can see Gary Larsen having “The Far Side” fun with this.

The water was cool and once wet, the air cooler. I was a little self conscious when a couple guys set up their laptops at a table nearby. They didn’t stay long.  I did my pool exercises and after awhile, we got out to lie in the sun to dry and warm up. Afterwards, Gail gave me a great foot massage. I was hoping it would help the swelling. Unfortunately, it didn’t, but they did feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment